Van Winkle Lotteries
November 22, 2019
News Release Contact:
Virginia ABC to Offer Van Winkle Products through Online and In-Person Lotteries
During the holiday season, Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Authority (ABC) will distribute several bourbons from the highly popular Van Winkle series through both online and in-person lotteries.
Virginia ABC customers will have the opportunity to enter online to win the chance to purchase a five-bottle Van Winkle Collection package including: Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 23 Year, 20 Year and 15 Year, Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 Year and Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year bourbons. In addition, there will be separate lotteries for each individual product.
Each online lottery entry form will be available for five days. Winners will be selected at random in a drawing from all valid entries received during the lottery entry period. All entries received during each five-day entry period will have an equal opportunity to win. The lottery is open to Virginia residents 21 and older and licensees only, and winners must present a valid Virginia photo ID at the time of purchase.
Since licensee sales make up 18% of ABC’s business, a proportional number of bottles is set aside for licensees. Separate drawings are held for retail customers and licensee customers.
The dates for each online lottery, number of bottles available and product prices are as follows:
Dec. 4–8 – Van Winkle Collection package; six packages, $1,499.99
Dec. 11–15 – Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 23 Year Bourbon; 9 bottles, $299.99 and Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 20 Year Bourbon; 340 bottles, $199.99
Dec. 18–22 – Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 15 Year Bourbon; 114 bottles, $119.99, Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 Year Bourbon; 1,530 bottles, $79.99, and Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year Bourbon; 393 bottles, $69.99
All lottery entries must include the store number and address where the bottle should be delivered for customer purchase and pick-up. Lottery entrants are encouraged to determine this location before submitting their entry. The lottery forms and the full terms and conditions will be available at www.abc.virginia.gov/products/limited-availability.
In addition to the online lotteries, 10 bottles of Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 Year Bourbon will be offered through two in-person lottery entry periods at Virginia ABC’s five temporary holiday shops in Virginia malls. Customers can visit kiosks at Fair Oaks Mall in Fairfax, Fashion Centre at Pentagon City in Arlington, Spotsylvania Towne Center in Fredericksburg, Charlottesville Fashion Square or the temporary storefront at Short Pump Town Center in Richmond to make an entry by scanning their valid Virginia photo ID. Customers will then receive a receipt with their 9-digit entry number. Licensee customers are not eligible for this lottery.
The specific dates for each lottery entry period, number of bottles available and price are as follows:
Nov. 25–29 (excluding Thanksgiving, Nov. 28) – Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 Year Bourbon; five bottles, $79.99
Dec. 2–6 – Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 Year Bourbon; five bottles, $79.99
“This year, we are offering a new way to enter for the chance to purchase a Van Winkle product,” Jeff Reeder, ABC Chief Retail Operations Officer said. “This unique avenue to a highly-sought after product will hopefully draw customers to our temporary holiday shops and increase convenience for mall shoppers who want to enter the lottery.”
Each entry period will feature five available bottles, one bottle per temporary holiday shop per entry period. Winners will be selected at random in a separate drawing for each temporary holiday shop. Customers may enter once at each holiday shop location to increase their odds of winning, however only one win per customer per lottery period across all pop-up locations will be allowed. All entries received during each entry period will have an equal opportunity to win.
Winning entry numbers will be posted to Virginia ABC’s website after 5 p.m. on Dec. 4 for the first lottery entry period and Dec. 11 for the second lottery entry period. Winners will then need to contact ABC within 72 hours to confirm their entry number and the last four digits of their valid Virginia photo ID to coordinate pick-up of the lottery bottle at an ABC store of their choice. Winners will need to provide the same valid Virginia photo ID and their original entry receipt at the time of purchase; digital copies or photocopies will not be accepted.
More information and full terms and conditions for the in-person lotteries are available on Virginia ABC’s website: https://www.abc.virginia.gov/products/limited-availability/popup-lottery-terms.
NOTE: Downloadable promotional images may be found in ABC’s media library: https://www.abc.virginia.gov/about/media-library.
The Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Authority (ABC) is a major source of revenue for the commonwealth, contributing more than $2.2 billion to the general fund in the last five years. Virginia ABC currently operates 386 state stores, and provides alcohol education and prevention programs for people of all ages. Its Bureau of Law Enforcement oversees more than 19,000 ABC licensed establishments. Now marking its 85th year, ABC remains committed to progress and innovation in carrying out its vision of bringing good spirits and excellent service to Virginia.
Van Winkle Lotteries November 22, 2019 News Release Contact: Virginia ABC to Offer Van Winkle Products through Online and In-Person Lotteries During the holiday season, Virginia
Limited Availability Products
Collectible Bourbon Release: November 10
Due to issues with our current lottery system, we have had to temporarily curtail lotteries. This has enabled us to build sufficient inventory to distribute several lottery products to retail stores. In order to make these products available to our customers, the following products will be available for sale at your local Virginia ABC store on November 10:
- Elijah Craig 18 Year Bourbon
- Weller Full Proof Bourbon
- E.H. Taylor Jr. Barrel Proof Bourbon
- E.H. Taylor Jr. Single Barrel Bourbon
These products will be available for in-store purchase only (online ordering will not be available). Inventory will appear on the Virginia ABC website beginning on Tuesday, November 10. See below for details regarding this event.
- Lottery system: We understand our customers’ overwhelming preference for using our online lottery process to distribute these products, especially in light of the need for social distancing. Unfortunately, our online lottery system is currently unavailable and will remain so for the near future. As we announced several weeks ago, we are in the process of transitioning to a new data center to upgrade our technical capabilities in many areas, including our website. We will offer online lotteries once we are confident that our systems are stable in the new data center and can provide the experience that you expect.
- Social distancing: We share our customers’ concerns regarding the need for social distancing and we are working to ensure this event goes forward in the safest manner possible. We are distributing these products across all 389 Virginia ABC stores so as to make them available as widely as possible and to minimize the number of customers waiting in line.
- Store inventory: Each store will receive at least 6 bottles, but no more than nine bottles in total, receiving at least one of the four products, but no more than two.
- Bottle distribution: Immediately before the store’s opening, store managers will distribute between six and nine numbered tickets (depending on the number of bottles available) to those first six to nine customers in line. Bottles will be distributed on a first come, first served basis by these numbers.
- One bottle per customer: Customers will be limited to purchasing one bottle. Should a store receive two products, customers will still be limited to purchasing one bottle.
- Licensees: Licensee customers must have one person per licensed establishment waiting in line – each person in line may purchase one bottle only. Customers affiliated with a licensed establishment who also wish to purchase a bottle as an individual must have another representative of the licensed establishment waiting in line in order to purchase on behalf of the licensed establishment.
- Being safe: We are asking for our customers’ cooperation to keep themselves and our employees safe. As such, on November 10, if there are more than nine customers in line in front of you, there is no reason to continue to wait in line unless you plan to buy other products (please note however that no other allocated products will be available for sale on November 10). If customers choose to wait outside of a Virginia ABC store, we strongly encourage them to socially distance and wear a mask. A mask will be required to enter the store.
- Residency: Finally, we have heard and understand your concerns regarding these products not being limited to purchase only by residents of Virginia. When we run an online lottery, we limit it to Virginia residents to provide a fair chance to our in-state customers and avoid logistical concerns with potential out-of-state winners. However, this is an in-store release, being handled in the same way we distribute our other in-store-only limited availability products, which we do not limit to purchase only by Virginia residents.
As previously announced, we hope to reinstate lotteries by the end of the year and expect these products to return to being distributed via lottery. If there are future retail distributions of lottery products, we will announce the details via the Spirited Virginia e-newsletter, Spirited Virginia social media (Facebook, Instagram) and the ABC website.
Learn more about how Virginia ABC distributes high-demand, low-availability products through online ordering and lotteries.